IV International Conference of Parks Dinarides
The IV International Conference of Parks Dinarides was concluded yesterday with the visit to the Public Institution Morsko Dobro - Tivat Salina, which is one of four new members of the Parks Dinarides Network, next to Orjen Nature Park from Montenegro, Tivoli, Rožnik and Šiška Hill from Slovenia and Public Institution Zeleni Prsten from Croatia.
With the arrival of new members, Parks Dinarides - network of protected areas of Dinarides, since yesterday consist of 92 protected areas from eight countries in the region.
The conference brought together over 150 participants from eight countries in the region. Furthermore, they exchanged experiences on strengthening the cooperation between protected areas and local communities, within three working days through discussions, presentations and workshops with leading experts from the region, which is one of the cornerstones of good management of natural resources.
Drawing on the importance of cooperation, the participants agreed that Parks Dinarides will remain dedicated to the essential involvement of local communities representatives in the planning and management of protected areas, in order to increase economic, social and cultural benefits.
The Steering Committee of the Network received two new members, Elvir Klica, as representative of Montenegro and Samir Ajdini from Macedonia, who joined the governing body.
In addition to the new members in the Network, the conference brought some other important conclusions focused on the strategic potentials for the development of the Network.
- WWF, in cooperation with Parks Dinarides, will continue to develop the Index of interaction of local communities. During 2019, a new cycle of Index determination for interested protected areas will be organized.
- The Grant Program for Protected Areas has proven to be an effective mechanism for improving communication and cooperation between protected areas and the local population. Parks Dinarides will make efforts to establish this Program as a permanent mechanism.
- The platform www.natureforpeople.com will be useful for Parks Dinarides members to share information and knowledge about solutions for good governance of protected areas in the region.
- Participants of the meeting reaffirmed the establishment of the Regional Biodiversity Working Group. It is also recommended that this body, when developing a communication strategy, include adequate mechanisms for including protected areas and civil society organizations in decision-making processes.
- EU funds represent an important source of financing common ideas of protected areas and partners in the Dinaric Arc countries. Parks Dinarides will help to link protected areas and develop common project ideas.
- Parks Dinarides will continue to work on the development of a joint Strategic Plan for the period 2019-2021.
- Parks Dinarides Assembly adopted the Activity Report of the Parks Dinarides for 2018 and the Annual Plan for 2019.
Parks Dinarides - network of protected areas of Dinarides is dedicated to improving the natural and cultural values of the protected areas of Dinarides, their promotion and support, and the application of good practices for sustainable development and management. It was founded at the end of 2014, based in Podgorica on the political agreement of 8 countries of the Dinaric Region - Big Win II.